Monday, January 17, 2011

Almost Doesn't Count - Hungover Hiking @ Koko Head

OUT IN WAIKIKI is back after a several month hiatus during which the editors spent some time being distracted by their own rediculous lives.  Now we're back with a New Year, New You posting.  Given we're knee deep in 2011 already, it's more of a Chinese New Year, New You.

I just returned to Honolulu after a jet-setting 2 day, 3 night weekend in Portland, visiting the family and friends that I unfortunately missed while working in Waikiki over Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Much merriment commenced, mainly drinking and karaoke and filling my suitcase with all parts of H&M (can someone please get on that, Waikiki and Ala Moana are aching for this Forever21 rival to pop up!)

After barely sleeping on the plane, let alone the night before the early morning flight, I said "you know what? No rest for the weary...Happy New Year, Koko Head."  Just about 30 min east of the city is Koko Head District Park, where hungover souls can dehydrate themselves in a punishable fashion with a 0.8 mile, nearly vertical climb to the top of the crater.  This was my second summit, iPod shuffle in hand, I could never quite land on the Brandy song needed to inspire the hike.  Still yet, I told myself after several pauses "almost doesn't count." 


21 minutes later I was at the top, sweating till I couldn't sweat no more, enjoying the panoramic views of Hanauma bay, Diamondhead and Waikiki, Hawaii Kai, and the stretch of coast from Sandy's to Makapu'u.  I hated every minute of the hike, but it hurts so good when you finish.



It's nice to berate your body into physical submission after too much drinking and too much time away from the gym.  Lemme show you who's the boss now...  It's also nice to get out of Waikiki sometimes.


FML.


2 comments:

  1. Very impressive! Never would I embark on such a journey. I'd be couch bound for a few days to rebound. But, that's just old me. Not young you.

    ReplyDelete